QuestionWhich of the following ion channel opens, when acetylcholine (ACh) binds to acetylcholine receptor (AChR) at postsynaptic junction?
- Potassium (K)
- Chloride (Cl)
- Calcium (Ca)
- Sodium (Na)
Acetylcholine ReceptorsTwo types of Acetylcholine Receptor:
- Muscarinic Type: G-Protein Coupled Receptor. Slow metabolic response through intracellular secondary messenger system involving an increase of intracellular calcium to transmit signals inside cells. Smooth muscle, Heart muscle.
- Nicotinic Type: Ligand-Gated Ion Channel. Fast synaptic transmission of the neurotransmitter. Neuromuscular Junctions, Brain.
- Neuronal Type:
- Muscle Type: Neuromuscular Junctions
- Sargent, Peter B. "The diversity of neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors." Annual review of neuroscience 16.1 (1993): 403-443.
- Caulfield, Malcolm P., and Nigel JM Birdsall. "International Union of Pharmacology. XVII. Classification of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors." Pharmacological reviews 50.2 (1998): 279-290.